Sugar Free Tomato Sauce
1 red onion
4 cloves of garlic
6 large tomatoes (overripe is best)
¼ red capsicum
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. thyme
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Roughly chop the onion, garlic, tomatoes and capsicum, removing all unwanted skins, seeds and piths.
3. Place them onto a large, lined baking tray and mix together with the spices, seasoning and oil.
4. Roast in the 190C oven for 20-25mins. The roasting brings out the sweet flavour of the tomatoes.
5. Remove from oven and place into a large pot.
6. Simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
7. Taste to see if there is enough seasoning. Take off the heat when you are happy with its taste and consistency. (Makes 12 serves tomato sauce, 4 serves pasta sauce.)
If you are making tomato sauce – blend in a blender until smooth. If you are using as pasta sauce – leave it chunky.